Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program: This IRS program led by United Way provides FREE income tax preparation to individuals and families making less than $55,000/year.
In 2016, our VITA FREE TAX CENTERS brought back over $13 MILLION in tax refunds and tax credits to Tarrant County.”
Tax Season begins: JANUARY 23, 2017 – APRIL 15, 2017
We hope to get over 400 VOLUNTEERS to help meet the demand of our FREE TAX CENTERS through our VITA program.
Here are four great ways you can get involved:
- Welcome taxpayers and oversee sign-in.
- Ensure families are directed to correct areas.
- Provide free interpretation and translation services to customers who are not fluent in English or may need assistance.
- Complete training for interpreters.
- Greet and screen all taxpayers to ensure that they have necessary information and documentation required to complete tax return.
- Explain the VITA packet to each taxpayer, assist them in completing information.
- Attend a one-hour training session.
- Participate in IRS tax training and complete certification.
- Prepare simple tax returns.
- Discuss the tax return with the taxpayer after a quality review process is complete.