To Receive Help, Simply CALL 2-1-1 Click Here to Learn More

HISTORY/TIMELINE

HISTORY

 

It started in 1922, when a group of Fort Worth’s community leaders gathered to consolidate the fundraising efforts of several local charities. Instead of competing for volunteer time and funding, they pooled their resources to create the Fort Worth Community Chest – the first Community Chest in the Southwest and forerunner of United Way of Tarrant County.

In the 1930’s, during the Great Depression, we funded unemployment relief and lunches for disadvantaged schoolchildren, and in World War II, distributed government flour and raised War Chest funds.

In the 1950’s, we consolidated again, folding into the Tarrant County United Fund. We started researching community needs more intensely, and developing new programs to meet those needs.

In 1962, joined with our planning body, the Community Council, to form the United Fund and Community Services, Inc.

We officially became United Way of Metropolitan Tarrant County in 1973, to promote a common identity with similar organizations across the country.

We continued to grow, establishing United Way—Arlington in 1981, and United Way—Northeast, in 1986.

2005 – Present: Now known simply as United Way of Tarrant County, we continue to research the most urgent needs in Tarrant County and work with our partners to meet those needs. We have focused our efforts to build a stronger community through Education, Income and Health, which are the building blocks for a good, quality life.

 

United Way of Tarrant County Helped Established:

  • AIDS Outreach Center
  • Child Care Associates
  • Child Study Center
  • Communities In Schools of Greater Tarrant County
  • Dental Health for Arlington
  • HEB Transit
  • JPS Health Center—Northeast
  • Michael Wehrle Volunteer Dental Clinic
  • St. Vincent’s Vision Clinic
  • Tarrant County Housing Coalition
  • Tarrant Literacy Coalition
  • UTA Continuing Education and Workforce Development Center
  • The Women’s Center of Tarrant County